What Are Your Rights When Buying Double Glazing?

4 May 2020

Have you ever bought double glazing from an installer who didn’t do a very good job?

We’ve heard many horror stories from homeowners where windows weren’t installed properly, jobs were only half-completed and in some cases, people scamming homeowners out of money.

We’re happy to say that we don’t hear about these horror stories that much anymore as with double glazing bodies such as CERTASS, FENSA and DGCOS, homeowners are protected now more than ever when they enter into a contract to have home improvements made in their houses.

But what are your rights if you do want to complain or if you’ve had a change of mind and would like to cancel your double glazing contract?

Well in this article, we’ll be looking at some of the most popular questions around the topic:

  • How do I complain about double glazing?
  • Is there an ombudsman for double glazing?
  • Can you cancel a double glazing contract?

How do I complain about double glazing?

First things first, if you’re in a situation to complain about the work you’ve received from a double glazing installer, we would highly recommend speaking with the company first to see if you can come to an arrangement whether that’s a refund, a partial refund, or an agreement that both parties are happy with.

Most double glazing companies these days are backed by governing bodies such as FENSA and CERTASS and are obliged to follow certain regulations and procedures.

So it’s certainly worth speaking with the company directly, to come to a solution.

If you’re unable to speak to the double glazing installer themselves, you may want to contact FENSA, CERTASS or anyone else who they may be accredited by, who may be able to help you further with your complaint.

But this should only be taken further in specific situations. 

Ask yourself, are you really unhappy with the work that has been done on your home? 

Was the service genuinely poor? 

Is there a relatively easy fix to what the problem may be?

You should write an account of what has happened, what you’re unhappy with, what the complaint is and what your desired outcome would be. By doing so, you have an idea of what you want by complaining to either the company or a double glazing governing body.

Is there an ombudsman for double glazing?

The Double Glazing Ombudsman Service is a governing body that is there to help homeowners with any problems they’ve had with their double glazing services.

They act as a middle-man to resolve any issues either party (usually the homeowner) may have. 

They offer a completely free service and act as an impartial member between the company and the homeowner. And is done so without the need of going to court as most issues can be resolved without the need of taking it further.

However, if you’re at this stage then it’s best you take a look at their website for more information and what you need to do to raise a complaint to an ombudsman to help you find a solution.

Can you cancel a double glazing contract?

Usually once given a contract which has been signed by yourself and a representative of the double glazing company, that contract should stand and any breach of that contract could be taken further either to a governing body or an ombudsman service.

This is why it’s very important to take the time to read the contract you’ll be signing. 

If the terms and conditions are separate, you should request these from the double glazing company before signing any documents.

More often than not though, if you aren’t happy with the work carried out in your home, you want to make a complaint or you want to disagree with a term or condition set out in your contract, then, unfortunately, there isn’t much you can do as you’re legally bound to honour that contract and the statements made in it.

However, there are sometimes exceptions to the rules, so whilst they may state something in black and white that you have signed, it depends on how vague they’re being and whether it’s something that can be enforced or not.

Our best advice at this stage would either be to seek legal advice or to call the Double Glazing Ombudsman service to see if there is anything that can be done, depending on what the issue is.

Unhappy with recent double glazing work?

Many of our double glazing installers offer appointments where they will send a representative to come to your home to survey the issue you have and may quote you on a repair or replacement.

Use our online find an installer tool to find local double glazing companies in your area who may be able to help.